Home > Beaches & Bays > Beach Rules > Ocean City Beach Rules
Ocean City, Maryland, Beach Rules & Regulations
- Drinking alcoholic beverages in public is strictly prohibited. Possession of open containers on the Beach, Boardwalk, or any municipal street, alley, sidewalk, or parking lot is prohibited at all times.
- Excessive noise is prohibited. Generally, noise which can be heard more than 50 feet from its source is considered excessive. Noise meters are used for enforcement. On the Beach and Boardwalk, radios, stereos, etc. may not disturb others at any time. On City buses, headsets must be used with these personal entertainment devices.
- Ball-throwing, frisbees, and other sports are not allowed while the Beach Patrol Guards are on duty between 9:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. daily from May 30 to September 15.
- The use of kites, surf mats and boogie boards is under the control of the Beach Patrol Guards.
- Sleeping is not permitted on the beach between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
- No private vehicles are permitted on the beach at any time.
- Surf fishing is permitted but not within 50 yards of swimmers or of anyone on the beach between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- Surfing during the busy season (approximately Memorial Day to Labor Day) is allowed at any beach before 10:00 a.m. and after 5:30 p.m., and during the day at a designated area announced daily on local radio stations, listed in local newspapers and at area surf shops. A permanent surf beach is located at the Inlet parking lot. Surf board leashes are required for safety.
- Animals are not allowed on the beach at any time between May 1 and September 30. At all times, dogs must be kept on a leash.
- Bicycles and rollerblades are allowed on the Boardwalk during certain times from April 1 through September 30: Weekdays, April 1 - May 29: 2 a.m.- 4 p.m. -- May 30 - September 5: 2 a.m. - 10 a.m. -- September 6 - September 30: 2 a.m. - 4 p.m. -- Weekends/Holidays, April 1 - May 14: 2 a.m. - 12 noon -- May 15 - September 30, 2 a.m. - 10 a.m. No Restrictions: October 1 - March 30. Elsewhere, bicycles may be ridden, following all Maryland laws and safe bicycling rules. Remember to ride in the same direction as motor vehicle traffic and observe stop signs and traffic signals in the evening and at night, a headlight and rear reflector are required.
- Skateboards are not permitted on the Boardwalk, public streets, alleys, sidewalks and public lots throughout Ocean City. A skateboard park is available at 3rd Street and St. Louis Avenue.