Location: 30207 Frankford School Road, Frankford, DE 19945
Contact: (302) 732-3808
"In 1891, Pierre Samuel DuPont (1870-1954), provided money for the construction of 86 schools for black students. Frankford Elementary was originally named George Washington Carver School, named after a black agricultural chemist and the average enrollment was fewer than fifty students. The school was utilized until 1932 when the school was destroyed by a fire and later restored in 1934.
Since 1929, the school has had several renovations and additions. In 1954 the school had its first cafeteria followed by a larger cafeteria in 1956. In 1966, yet a larger cafeteria was constructed. In 1969 the school's name was changed from George Washington Carver to Frankford Elementary School. In 1984, Frankford Elementary had another addition of a cafeteria and twenty-one classrooms. In 1988 seven more classrooms were added. Presently, it serves students from preschool to fifth grade and has a current enrollment of over 500 students."